Quote of the Month

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.

~Mirabel Osler






Saturday, 22 March 2014

Weeding - An Alternative view......

The advantages of not spreading weed killer or poison on the land are many and varied and well documented so I will not go on about it here. 
However, I would like to share with you something that I have discovered in my old age...
The joys of weeding! 
Yes indeed,  the joys of weeding and I joke not.    
On my hands and knees, with knee pads, of course, and stout working gloves. 
Different weeds grow in  different ways and I have discovered by experience the most efficient way of extracting each one  from the ground. 
For some it’s a quick tug, for others a slow vertical haul, for more, a twist and a tug,  etc, etc. 
Then I have the satisfaction of hearing the roots come out of the ground and the smell of the soil. 
It is beautiful, and again I joke not.
 In the process I also  experience many other sights and sounds and smells too numerous to mention  including seeing the many little creatures in the undergrowth;  a whole world of wonder that I never used to notice that much.
Then I gather up my harvest of weeds, my pile of green lushness and bring it to my compost pile.  Composting is something else that I have only discovered of recent years and it goes hand in glove with the weeding.  
I may sound like a daft old woman but I am deadly serious when I say that I would highly recommend either activity. 
Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment