Quote of the Month

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.

~Mirabel Osler






Monday, 21 April 2014

Information on Vetiver Grass



 Carol & Greg are following up on this information and the AGC Members may be able to join them in a visit to see it in situ.
Watch this Blog for information Jane

When I first terraced our garden I was immediately faced with an erosion problem on one of the terraces.  The entire terrace was slipping.  After extensive research to find an easy and cost effective solution to the problem I came across Vetiver Grass.  I tried to find it in Spain so I could plant it on the problem terrace.  I finally found the grass with a supplier in Italy and ordered 100 plants.  The plants cost me 1 Euro each and the shipping from Italy was 40 Euro.  
When I received the plants I planted the plants one foot apart in the crack that was forming on my terrace.  I did install a dripper system to get the plants established.  I have had these plants growing now for over 3 years.  I have no erosion problem at all on this terrace and no longer water the grass.   After 3 years of growth the plants are now ready for harvesting.  I have been selling the plants to individuals with great success.  
I am selling the plants for 1 Euro each.  This grass needs no special soil, fertilizer, or care.  To plant a slip (one stalk) you just make a small hole, and put the slip in.  Nothing labor intensive.  The plants are planted approximately a foot apart, so the cost
for 30 linear meters is 100 Euro, a very cost effective way of stopping erosion.  The Vetiver Grass can handle a great deal of water, or no water at all once established.

Below are some very interesting links to explain Vetiver Grass.  The roots grow 3-4 meters deep in one year and the roots have the strength of 1.6 mil steel.  Also included are some photos of different uses and different looks you can get from the plant.  
The Vetiver Grass will resolve an erosion problem anywhere.  We have been growing these for approximately 3 years and have over 50,000 plants with new plantings every week.  

We have also added some photos of our first plantings, 3 years later, and our latest plantings on our terraces that had erosion.  Now we have no erosion where the plants are. 

There is a world of information at the first site listed below and it is in many languages that you can select from.  There is also a Wikipedia site and a couple of interesting YouTube sites.






If you have any questions please let me know.  You are welcome to come and see the plants.  Vetiver Grass offers an easy, inexpensive solution to any erosion issues that your clients may have.

You can contact either myself or Dave by either email or cell.  
Mine is 34 695 263 594   
Dave’s is 692288657
Best regards,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment